The coastal City of Bunbury is located approximately 175km (109 miles) south of Perth and is the third largest city in Western Australia.
Bunbury was first sighted by Europeans in 1903 when the French explorer, Captain Louis de Freycinet, spotted the bay from his ship, the Casuarina. As a kind guesture Freycinet named the area Port Leschenault, after the resident botanist on board, Leschenault de la Tour, and he also named the bay Geographe after one of the ships in his fleet.
In 1829 the area was finally explored and a military post was later established. The area was renamed Bunbury in honour of Henry William St. Pierre Bunbury who had the awful job of finding an inland route from Pinjarra to Bunbury. Bunbury soon became a thriving port and railway terminus.
In 1979 the town was declared a city and is now the major centre of the State’s southwest region. So what about its public art ?